Friday, September 5, 2014

A Place to Relax

I haven't written in awhile but the explanation for that will have to wait.  Today I have spent a very hot afternoon hauling pavers to our backyard.  They were dropped off at our driveway and this is the second batch of these heavy, gritty pavers.  There are a lot of them and they are heavy and it is hot.  I may have already mentioned that part about it being hot but it is.   These pavers will go towards building a patio in the backyard where we can sit as a family, have a fire, relax and enjoy our home.  I ran into a neighbor and complained that I was dying - I am sore and tired and my hands have blisters.  I walked in to grab a glass of water and turned on PBS.  They were interviewing a woman who directed a film called the The Last Days in Vietnam.  At least I am pretty sure that's the title I only caught the last 3 minutes.  It showed a plane trying to take off and people were literally hanging off the stairs into the plane.  They were desperate to get out of that country and the flight attendants were pulling them up by their arms as they hung on for life.  They were pushing people towards the plane as it went down the runway picking up speed.  They were yelling and shouting to not be left behind.  I started to think of what real desperation must feel like.  What real thirst must feel like.  What real hunger must feel like.  And I wept.  Here I was complaining about carrying pavers for a patio to relax at.  Dear heavenly Father, forgive me for forgetting how blessed I am.  For taking for granted the life I have.  Forgive me for not seeing.

No comments: